Pieter Geenen’s work consists of audiovisual impressions of physical space, in relation to time and duration. The landscapes, public spaces and fragments of ordinary life he films, seem to represent space, but only as a reference, a mere abstraction. Geenen searches for patterns and structures: human presence becomes small and anonymous. The world is presented as being in perpetual movement, from which only certain periods or sequences are seemingly captured to recreate reality, creating a sense of repetition and continuity, but also of stagnation.
After his Master of Fine Arts degree in photography, Geenen completed the international postgraduate program Transmedia at Sint-Lukas University College of Art and Design in Brussels. His audiovisual work has been presented at the International Film Festival Rotterdam, New York Film Festival, Hong Kong International Film Festival, Images Festival Toronto, DocLisboa, EXiS Seoul, FID Marseille, Rencontres Internationales Paris/Berlin/Madrid, Centre Pompidou-Metz, ARGOS Centre for Art and Media (Brussels), La Capella Barcelona, FRAC Basse-Normandie and Médiathèque FMAC Geneva, amongst other places. In 2007 he received the 'Input/Output Art Prize' for emerging artists and in 2011 he was awarded the first prize 'Fondation Henri Servais' from the Art'Contest Art Prize in Belgium.
Together with Sirah Foighel Brutmann, Eitan Efrat and Meggy Rustamova he's a founding member of Messidor, a platform for reflection on, and the production and distribution of moving images.
- ° 1979 Hasselt (Belgium). Lives and works in Brussels.
- Black Outs – The Eclipse of the Image as a Strategy for Visibility
- Manières Noires / Black Outs
- W1 : Unconventional Gaze
- Limes - Voyages de frontière
- Premiere Screening: Pieter Geenen - The Nation
- IFFR 2017 - International Film Festival Rotterdam
- Open archives, Active archives? - #2: Writing with video. An evening with Pieter Geenen. Discussions, screenings and presentations
- FID Marseille 2015
- Unconventional gazes - An argos carte blache for Vidéographies  Festival
- Pieter Geenen - This land is my land. This land is your land.
- International Short Film Festival Oberhausen 2012: Market Screening
- COM nu TIES seuils/drempels/thresholds - A duoshow with ISELP
- Ciclo Vídeo Belga
- Paysages / Vidéos et Films
- No Place - Like Home. Perspectives on migration in Europe
- Company: Sirah Foighel Brutmann & Eitan Efrat, Pieter Geenen, Meggy Rustamova
- Buffer Zones – Reflections on Transitional Areas
- Argos Media Library
- The Ethnographic Turn (Revisited) #3 - Pieter Geenen
- Videoex 2011: Guestcity Brussels
- There all is order and beauty
- ART BRUSSELS 2014. Selection from the collection of Argos
- NO STRINGS ATTACHED – EXPLORING THE RELATION BETWEEN ETHNOGRAPHY AND CONTEMPORARY ARTS
- Slow (36h)
- IFFR - International Film Festival Rotterdam 2012
At view in the media library