Crabeels’s work ‘Topologic’ records the prolonged contortions of a man attempting to put on, and to take off again, a piece of clothing. Here the body is used both as a terrain of experiment, and as a metaphor for artist’s labour of inhabiting space in general. The struggle between artist and material, in this case a three-piece suit, illustrates the creating process of an artist in a metaphorical way. A man is seen performing different movements against a neutral background. The man clumsily attempts to remove his waistcoat while keeping his jacket on. Because neither the man himself nor the background give an indication of any kind of narrative structure the viewer is lead to read the image as a ‘conductor’ or catalyst of certain emotions.
- Format Betacam SP(Betacam SP)
- Color system PAL
- Color col.
- Year 2002
- Duration 00:12:30
- Volte-Face: selected videos from the Argos collection
- Azerbaijan State Academy of Fine Arts 2005
- STEP UP! Belgian Dance and Performance on Camera 1970-2000 - Chapter 3
- Ciclo Vídeo Belga
- Zona de mestizaje - Cine y Vídeo de Artistas Belgas
- Figures of the Body @ VideoZone 2006
- Figures of the body @ LAZNIA
- Cel Crabeels - In the line of work